Welcome to Veronika Olivier’s course introducing textiles and fibers in sculpting. Veronika is a South African living in a small town south of Johannesburg in a hundred-year-old house. She has been an artist all her life and only started to practice it full-time for the last 4 years. Veronika’s inspiration comes from visual experiences, memories and imagination. As an avid recycler, she uses things from around the home, including plastics, old clothes, boxes, tea bags, etc. Veronika sources materials from second-hand and charity shops, textile waste from designers and gathers anything she can get her hands on.
The aim of the course is to introduce you to new ways of sculpting appropriate for textiles and fibers through observation and using a range of media, techniques and approaches. Through this creative process, you will be encouraged to experiment and develop your own ideas to inspire future textile works. You will also start to see your work in a broader context by looking at contemporary artists who approach textiles in different ways.
The course aims to:
– Introduce you to new ways of developing visual work appropriate for textiles.
– Use a range of media, techniques and approaches in your work.
– Encourage you to experiment and develop your own visual vocabulary.
Through the course, you will:
– Acquire new ways of working creatively.
– Develop new observational skills.
– Explore some textile manipulation techniques.
– Gain greater confidence in your potential for textile-related work.